The benefit system can be a complex system to deal with. As a claimant, you are required to find out for yourself if there are any benefits that you may be entitled to. Thousands of people do seek help with their benefit problems each year, but many fail to do this and as a result they miss out on money that they have a legal entitlement to.
Sometimes people make claims which they think should be successful but aren’t, or their current benefit comes under review and is stopped. In other situations they get a decision telling them they have had their benefit sanctioned (a penalty for specific actions or inaction leading to a loss of benefit) and they won’t get a payment for several weeks. Sometimes they receive a letter stating that they have been overpaid a benefit and have to repay it. These are just some of the benefit problems that people experience. Whatever the benefit problem, it is important to have specialist intervention to resolve these issues.
Please remember most benefit decisions have a strict appeal deadline after which you may not be able to challenge a decision.
Help is available: Benefit advice for the people of Hull or Advice if you live in the East Riding of Yorkshire
Useful websites to visit
The following websites offer useful help and information concerned with general information on Benefits. Click on the name to go to their website.
- Citizens Advice - Useful information from the Citizens Advice website Adviceguide.
- Gov.uk - Housing Benefit- Overview of housing benefits.
- HMRC - Useful information from the HMRC
- Tax Help for Older People- An independent free tax advice service for older people on low incomes who cannot afford to pay for professional advice. Call on 0845 601 3321
- Turn2us - Get help to find the money available to you, through welfare benefits, grants and other help
- Gov.uk - Overview of benefits information.
Disability Living Allowance
- Gov.uk - Overview of DLA for adults
- Gov.uk - Overview of DLA for children (under 16)
- Citizens Advice - Advice for people who are sick or disabled
- Citizens Advice - Useful advice on benefits and tax credits for people in work
- HMRC - Useful information from the HMRC website
- Tax Aid - A charity that offers up to date information and tax advice on tax matters to individuals on low and modest incomes
- Citizens Advice - Useful information from the Citizens Advice website, Adviceguide
- Gov.uk - Overview of housing benefits
- North Lincolnshire Council - Provide useful information on housing benefit for those living in North Lincolnshire
- East Riding of Yorkshire Council - Provide useful information on housing benefit for those living in East Riding
Employment Support Allowance
The below websites offer help and information on this subject. Click to view the website for each organisation.
- Citizens Advice - Useful information from the Citizens Advice website.
- Gov.uk - ESA - Employment and Support Allowance information.
Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
Personal Independence Payment will start to replace Disability Living Allowance from April 8th 2013.
- Citizens Advice - Helpful information on PIP from the Citizens Advice website Adviceguide.
- Gov.uk - PIP - Overview from Gov.uk of Personal Independence Payment
- Age UK - Do you know what benefits you are entitled to? Find out exactly what you are owed - quickly and easily - with our personalised benefits calculator.
If you have a Benefits and Tax Credits issue there are details of advice providers available below, and websites providing information about Benefits and Tax Credits here.