Been ripped off in the sales? Watch our video

28th November 2016

This page tells you what Citizens Advice Hull and east Riding did for National Consumer Week 2016. Have a look at our tips to help you get to your rights!

Watch our video filmed on the streets of Hull here


Returning an electrical item

If an electrical item is unsafe when you buy it, becomes unsafe or breaks after you've used it, by law the seller has to:

  • give you a full refund within 30 days of you buying it
  • repair it
  • replace it

If another fault happens, or the repair or replacement doesn't solve the problem, the seller has to:

  • accept the item back from you, and give you a full refund within 6 months of the repair or replacement (or a partial refund after that time)
  • allow you to choose to keep the item, and give you some of your money back

Find out more about the Consumer Rights Act 2015, which the seller is following by doing any of these things.

Don't throw the broken item away. It is worth keeping, in case the seller wants to see it. If it's damaged your property because of a fault, take photos of the damage to show the seller. 

Find out more about claiming compensation if your electrical item has caused damage.

You should speak to the person that sold you the item, not the manufacturer - even if they tell you it is not their fault. It is the sellers responsibility to put things right, including if your item is damaged during delivery or installation.

Your rights might be different if you bought the item before 1 October 2015, when the Consumer Rights Act 2015 came into force. You can find out more by using our faulty goods tool.

Get help

Contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline if you need more help.

 Find out more by visiting the Citizens Advice website.

Before you buy again

It is always worth doing your research - for example:


Share this article:

Back to archive

need housing debt issues benefits advice